Running without Internet Security
I remember asking a former boss of mine about what anti-virus software etc he had installed.
The basic answer was none - he didn't need it as he didn't download anything he considered unsafe and steered well clear of attachments from people he didn't recognise - that is, he used the computer in a fairly cautious way when it came to inputs and outputs.
I've followed this methodology by uninstalling commercial AV and firewall software. The net results have been a faster computer - in fact, a fairly disturbing lockup problem disappeared completely when I removed SIS (Symantec Internet Security) from my computer - and generally happier usage.
I left the Windows XP built in firewall on, but again, I probably don't need it - I am connected via ethernet cable to an ADSL modem/router (with wireless off) and that has a perfectly good hardware firewall built in. NAT (Network Address Translation) is the icing on the cake.
I tend to play games on the 360 these days so don't download the demos I used to.
Spyware would possibly be a problem but I run IE in limited mode and a Spybot scan found nothing a few days ago (one month in). Or I just use Opera (which beats Firefox in my estimation anyway).
Anti-spam software is still essential though.
The basic answer was none - he didn't need it as he didn't download anything he considered unsafe and steered well clear of attachments from people he didn't recognise - that is, he used the computer in a fairly cautious way when it came to inputs and outputs.
I've followed this methodology by uninstalling commercial AV and firewall software. The net results have been a faster computer - in fact, a fairly disturbing lockup problem disappeared completely when I removed SIS (Symantec Internet Security) from my computer - and generally happier usage.
I left the Windows XP built in firewall on, but again, I probably don't need it - I am connected via ethernet cable to an ADSL modem/router (with wireless off) and that has a perfectly good hardware firewall built in. NAT (Network Address Translation) is the icing on the cake.
I tend to play games on the 360 these days so don't download the demos I used to.
Spyware would possibly be a problem but I run IE in limited mode and a Spybot scan found nothing a few days ago (one month in). Or I just use Opera (which beats Firefox in my estimation anyway).
Anti-spam software is still essential though.
2 Comments:
I trust you didn't disable the firewall as well!
By
anon, at 1:14 pm
I was tempted to - as there is a very good one built into my router - which I am connected to by ethernet cable - so I am in effect double firewalled...
When this blog starts filling up with absolute rubbish then that is when my machine has been compromised...
...hang on... :-p
By
dan, at 2:44 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home