MP3 Players
I remember letting a friend at University know that I liked R.E.M. They loved R.E.M.
I never thought I would be a massive fan, though, liked to listen to their music, never thought I'd be as devoted as they were (who, it must be said, is very unlikely to be reading this).
I was going through my CD collection last night, when I noticed something strange. I have a about 8 million R.E.M. CD's! Well, not quite that many, but all the albums, a few bootlegs and some other stuff. Arghhh, I've somehow managed to become a compulsive album collector!
However, the main thrust of this post is not to reveal that I own the Cheeky Girls CD (although I don't, no, really, I don't), but to mention how awkward it is to transfer all my CD's across to my MP3 player. It's a pain in the backside. In. Rip. Tag. Transfer to Player. Out. Repeat with next CD.
Sonic Stage (Sony's music management software) is a fine example of how to write a piece of software based on how you think someone will use something without ever using it yourself. Unghhhh.
And now I've noticed something else. Now it's on the player, the music has lost something. It's too immediate. Gone is the joy of selecting a CD at random, pulling it off the shelf. Instead, I now have to navigate through a UI that isn't really any good at managing large number of songs and select the music I want to hear with a button press.
Ho hum.
I never thought I would be a massive fan, though, liked to listen to their music, never thought I'd be as devoted as they were (who, it must be said, is very unlikely to be reading this).
I was going through my CD collection last night, when I noticed something strange. I have a about 8 million R.E.M. CD's! Well, not quite that many, but all the albums, a few bootlegs and some other stuff. Arghhh, I've somehow managed to become a compulsive album collector!
However, the main thrust of this post is not to reveal that I own the Cheeky Girls CD (although I don't, no, really, I don't), but to mention how awkward it is to transfer all my CD's across to my MP3 player. It's a pain in the backside. In. Rip. Tag. Transfer to Player. Out. Repeat with next CD.
Sonic Stage (Sony's music management software) is a fine example of how to write a piece of software based on how you think someone will use something without ever using it yourself. Unghhhh.
And now I've noticed something else. Now it's on the player, the music has lost something. It's too immediate. Gone is the joy of selecting a CD at random, pulling it off the shelf. Instead, I now have to navigate through a UI that isn't really any good at managing large number of songs and select the music I want to hear with a button press.
Ho hum.
1 Comments:
bah - count yourself lucky - i'm listening to music through my phone using "betaplayer" at the moment. While it is great not to haev to carry lots of things around with me, the tinerface is pretty clumsy.
Transferring songs over with WMP is pretty straightforward though - and because I dont have too much room (512MB) I guess i go through the "picking stuff off the shelf" bit of the process when i'm deciding what to sync over...
By
Anonymous, at 7:19 am
Post a Comment
<< Home