Graphical User Interfaces: "Designers are bad"
Interesting list of the shortcomings of using a GUI Designer to create form based layouts.
Beware the GUI Builder.
I say interesting, but I mostly disagree.
For all the reasons here.
Beware the GUI Builder.
I say interesting, but I mostly disagree.
For all the reasons here.
2 Comments:
GUI builders are great for building quick test apps, but I rarely use them in production.
My fingers have been burnt too often with devenv deleting my code. And I'm rubbish at aligning controls - I don't seem to have the hand-eye co-ordination required - and after a little while using designers, either my wrist starts hurting or my head does. Whereas my mental arithmetic is fine, so after deciding on 4 pixel padding, it's a simple matter to align my controls by code...
By
anon, at 9:38 am
Funnily enough, this is one of the areas where I agree :-)
devenv is very poor when switching between views - and I never use the designer when writing asp.net apps etc - it puts in some "interesting" markup for starters, let alone removing markup it doesn't understand. An earlier entry by moi "remarks" upon this :-)
The designer in 2005 seems to have some interesting helpers with alignment etc.
In retrospect, though, I've just realised that for most Windows Forms apps, I tend to drop controls onto the page using the designer and then switch to code view where I then muck around with them, including positioning.
Doesn't mean I disagree with the concept though, I guess. Just reality hasn't delivered.
By
dan, at 2:56 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home